When I first started this blog, I was hoping to use it to document my marathon training. I then proceeded to make only two entries the entire time I was training for the marathon, not talking about training in either post, and then I never even made a race recap of that race. That was a major fail.
Since then, I’ve become MUCH better at updating my blog, and I’m having a great time doing it, but I realized the other day that I’m still not documenting my training in an even semi-organized way. I didn’t even post about my training plan until I had been using it for 5 weeks! I want to be better at this. I like reading other runners’ recaps from training, and hopefully reading those will keep me on task.
So here’s what I did last week, week 6 of 1/2 marathon training:
- Monday: Easy 5k, set the speed at 10 min/mile and didn’t allow myself to go faster. Having a time goal for this race has made me VERY bad at doing slower, easy runs.
- Tuesday: Speed day – 7 x 400s at 5k pace w/ two minute slower running between laps. Including warm-up and cool down, this came to around 3.75 miles. I ran under 8 minute/mile pace on the 400s which is awesome, but I should probably slow down a tad because that is not 5k pace for me.
- Wednesday: Rest day, instead of Monday.
- Thursday: Skipped. Felt like playing board games and watching Friends instead.
- Friday: Spinning! Then ran 3 miles easy (around 10 min/mile pace) at zero incline, my legs were tired! (Note: Friday is supposed to be a rest day, but wanted to make up for skipping on Thursday)
- Saturday: 10 miles! Set program to rolling hills level 4. The “big” hills were very hard this week. Probably because (like a crazy person) I did spinning and then ran the day before. I managed to still finish w/ my pace slightly under 10 min/mile, so I was happy about this run. Then I mostly just sat on the couch for the rest of the day. 🙂
- Sunday: Skipped. Legs were tired. I’m contemplating making this an official rest day and running Mondays instead, because Sunday runs just aren’t working out for me this time around.
I did nearly 20 miles this week, and tried out spinning! Woo! My goals for this week are:
- Long Run: 10 miles
- Speed Work: 40 minute tempo run
- Easy Runs: 2 or 3 runs @ 3 to 4 miles
- Go to spinning twice
- Do at home strength exercises at least twice
I think #3 and #5 will be the hardest for me to complete, but having posted it here should help. I don’t want to have to tell you next Monday that I missed my goals!
Now, off to have a productive Monday that will include studying, spinning, washing a mountain of dishes, and knitting a blanket for my soon to be niece or nephew. Enjoy your day!