Week nine and feelin’ fine!
- Monday: My friend was in town, and it was St. Patrick’s day. We went out to lunch and then to an Irish Bar! Fun times, but no running.
- Tuesday: 40 minute tempo run, starting at 10 min/mile speeding up to 8:30/mile. I held each pace longer this time, and I think that was a good choice. Also, I got two 24 packs of energy gel – Chocolate Cherry Clif gel and Salted Caramel Gu.
- Wednesday: 4.5 “easy” run. I put the word in quotes because it didn’t feel very easy. I think my legs were a tad tired from Tuesday’s speed work.
- Thursday: Easy run outside w/ Jeff, my favorite runny buddy. No Garmin, it was nice. Covered just over 3 miles in the fresh air.
- Friday: Attempted a 5 mile pace run, outside again. I started out slightly above race pace, and then just fell apart. Honestly though, I don’t even care! I am so psyched about passing my test, that I was grinning ear to ear the entire time. Even though I averaged 11 min miles…nothing can get me down today. I passed my TEST!!! Also, it was very windy.
- Saturday: Rest Day w/ stretching and foam rolling
- Sunday: 11 mile long run. First long run outside during 1/2 training. My pace was a little disappointing (10:38/mile) because I’ve been faster on the treadmill, but I still had fun. I did run/walk with about a 3.5 to 1 ratio. I thought this would be a good idea today because my legs didn’t do very well on Friday and I need to get reacquainted with running on pavement and over hills. I ran the last 2.5 miles without walk breaks and it went well. There’s nothing more encouraging than finishing strong on a long run.
Last week, I set my goals as:
Long Run: 11 miles– Check! Speed work – 40 min Tempo– Check! Easy Runs: (2) – 3 mile + 4.5 mile– Check!
- Pace Run: 5 mile – Intentions were there, execution was off – 4 miles not at race pace
- Strength – Twice – Big fail*
- Stretch + Foam Roll – 3 times – Only twice
*I woke up on Tuesday with an unexplained wrist injury. I have a bump, and it hurts to bend it certain ways. I really don’t know what happened. I can’t think of a single thing I would have done on Monday that would cause it. It’s not that bad, but it’s preventing me from doing push-ups, and push-ups are the backbone of my lame at home strength workout. So, I flaked out on the hated strength work. This week, I’ll try to at least do the exercises that don’t hurt my wrist.
This week, I’m hoping to:
- Long Run: 12 miles
- Speed work – 9x400m
- Easy Runs: (2) – 3 mile + 5 mile
- Strength – Once
- Stretch + Foam Roll – 3 times
- Spinning Once
Again, I’ll miss some spinning this week. I’m traveling during spin class time, and I’ll be attempting my 12 mile run in Buffalo this weekend because I’m visiting for my sister’s baby shower on Saturday! Woo!
2 thoughts on “Spring 1/2 Training: Week 9”
Great job! This was my first weekend getting off the treadmill, too (aside from race day last weekend). It was tough! We live in a super hilly neighborhood which is great for training but bad for feeling like you are actually improving bc it always feels hard. I forgot just how hilly it was!
Great job to you, too! It’s funny about the hills. I’ve run these streets hundreds of times, and yet I somehow forgot about at least 75% of the hills. Every time I turned the corner..hill, hill, hill! I’m glad I’m not the only one who forgets, haha.