Week 11 is now behind me, leaving me with only one more long run before the race. I wish I could say that I feel like I’m going to kill that two hour time goal, but that would be a lie. Instead, I’m contemplating what my other goals for this race can be so that I still feel accomplished when I finish slower than I’d like.
This doesn’t mean I had a bad week, on the contrary look at all the stuff I did:
- Monday: Travel day. I took almost every conceivable mode of transportation (car, plane, shuttle bus, subway, feet – walked, and train), but no running.
- Tuesday: 3 mile easy run outside with Jeff. No watch, but I was using the charity miles app so I know it was something under 10 min/mile. Being able to use Charity Miles again is one definite plus to running outside.
- Wednesday: 45 minute tempo run (treadmill). As far as speed work goes, I much prefer intervals. Ended up with 4.8 miles, so even during speed work I’m a bit shy of that 9 min/mile average I’m hoping for on race day. This is why I have my doubts. Also, stretching and foam rolling.
- Thursday: 5 mile easy run out to Salem. There were hills and a bridge and beaches and Jeff. It was pretty nice. Ended up around 10 min miles with a tad bit of walking and some stopping for traffic lights. I think it’s key that I start slow at my race. That seems to really help me make it through the run at a decent pace.
- Friday: I did it! I did my pace run, and I succeeded! 5 miles in 44:36, that’s 24 seconds to spare, even! I had pretty much given up hope of succeeding on one of these pace runs. Silly me. I guess there’s still a chance I’ll get my sub-2 hour half. I just have to keep up that pace for twice as far, and then a 5k. Piece of cake!
Oh, also, I had a pretty impressive dance party after the pace run success. Unfortunately, I skipped spinning in the morning in order to keep my legs fresh for the pace run attempt.
- Saturday: I set out on my long run of 12 miles, but decided to cut it short at the halfway point and finished only 6.34 miles. My legs were BEAT. I clearly should have waited until Sunday morning to try the long run. And I knew that at the time, but mentally I was ready for it, so I went anyways. Oh well. I know I could have finished out the 12, but I just wasn’t having any fun. It was cold and windy and a little wet, and my legs were so tired from running the previous 4 days. I guess this is the beauty of this training schedule I made, it was my second 12 mile run, so I didn’t feel horrible about going home when my legs were done.
- Sunday: Much needed rest day. Stretching and foam rolling.
This is how I did on my goals last week:
- Long Run: 12 miles – Did 6.34 miles
Speed Work – 45 min tempo runCheck! Easy Runs: (2) – 3 mile + 5 mileCheck! Pace Run: 5 mileCheck!
- Strength – Once – Nope..so, bad at this.
Stretch & Foam Roll – 2 timesCheck!
- Spinning Once Skipped
Once again, I didn’t get all my goals. It’s a high bar I set for myself. 😉
This week I’m hoping to:
- Long Run: 13 miles
- Speed Work – 10x400m intervals
- Easy Runs: (2) – 3 mile + 5 mile
- Pace Run: 3 mile
- Strength – Once
- Stretch & Foam Roll – 3 times
- Spinning Twice
One thought on “Spring 1/2 Training: Week 11”
Great job on your pace run and great long runs!!