Week 12 is over, it’s taper time! But before all the relaxing begins, take a look at what I did this week:
- Monday: 3 mile easy treadmill run followed by spinning. Did Level 4, rolling hills program on the treadmill, and felt pretty good. Sunday’s rest day was good for my legs, but spinning was tough and felt like it lasted forever.
- Tuesday: 5 mile run with first and last mile at an easy effort, and the middle 3 miles at race effort. I’m pretty confident I will be running the race by feel, not pace, so I’m practicing this technique whenever I get the chance. Stretched and foam rolled as well. (Avg. pace: 9:11/mile)
- Wednesday: Speed day – 10 x 400m intervals on the treadmill. This was far tougher than any interval session has been for me this training cycle. Probably because of yesterday’s pace run. (Avg. pace: 8:57/mile)
- Thursday: Easy run to the grocery store. Total 3 miles. Stretching and foam rolling. (Avg. pace: 9:36/mile)
- Friday: Rest Day. Didn’t go to spinning; didn’t feel like it, but it was probably good for my tired legs.
- Saturday: Long Run – 13 miles. It was a great last long run. I’m looking forward to race day. Also, did stretching, foam rolling, and strength exercises. (Avg. pace: 9:50/mile)
- Sunday: Rest Day. Did some stretching and strength exercises. I started a the 30 day ab challenge. It’s not terribly extensive, but hopefully it’ll get me in the routine of doing some sort of strength exercise.
This is how I did on my goals last week:
Long Run: 13 milesCheck! Speed Work – 10x400m intervalsCheck! Easy Runs: (2) – 3 mile + 5 mileCheck! Pace Run: 3 mileCheck! Strength – OnceCheck! Stretch & Foam Roll – 3 timesCheck!
- Spinning Twice Only Once
This week I’m starting to taper for the half. I don’t usually get the taper crazies, and I think I’ll probably be fine this time too. This week’s plan is to lower my mileage, while keeping some of the intensity:
- Long Run: 6 miles
- Speed Work – 30 min tempo
- Easy Runs: (2) – 3 mile + 4 mile
- Strength – 30-day Ab Challenge
- Stretch & Foam Roll – 4 times
You’ll notice that spinning isn’t on this list. I haven’t really enjoyed spinning lately, so that’s off the list for now. We’ll see what happens.