During half training, I enjoyed wrapping up a week of training with a blog post, so why stop when my race is over? I started my new training plan this week, which was pretty fun. (What am I training for your ask? Beats me!) Technically I’m allowed to start on Level 8 (because I can run a half marathon, and have done speed workouts before), but my legs are still recovering from the half, so I started on Level 1. I also seem to have a compulsion about starting on Level 1, and skipping the first seven levels wasn’t going to fly.
- Monday: 2 miles easy (9:48/mile), foam rolling, stretching. First run back from the half marathon and my hamstring didn’t feel very good. This inspired me to start stretching and doing strength exercises.
- Tuesday: 25 minutes Easy w/ (4) 20 sec strides. It was the first time I’d ever run strides, and I liked it. It was a pretty fun workout. I’ve never run strides before; it was a nice way to mix up an easy run. My legs still weren’t feeling super, but I had a good time. The weather was perfect for running. (2.32 miles, 10:46/mile) Hamstring felt okay. Also stretching, strength exercises, foam rolling, and icing my hamstring.
- Wednesday: Short ladder workout. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes at a face pace with 2-3min rest in between. Another type of workout I’ve never really done before. It was tough at first, but once I had been running faster for a little while, it felt pretty good. (3.61 miles, 9:24/mile). Hamstring felt fine for most of the run. Stretching, foam rolling, and icing.
- Thursday: Easy run – 25 minutes. Ran with Jeff – he had to listen to me debate which fall marathon to run, but no decision made by the end of the run. (2.47 miles, 10:08/mile) Hamstring feeling so so on this run. Stretching, foam rolling, icing, and strength exercises.
- Friday: Rest day! Stretching, foam rolling, icing.
- Saturday: Long Run – 6 miles. In the rain. It was nice. I felt pretty good for most of the run. Hamstring felt solid until the last half mile or so. My overall pace was a bit slow; my legs are still tired from the race, I think. I over dressed because it was pouring rain when I left the house. So I wasted some time when I took off my long sleeve shirt and tied it around my waste. Sounds easy, but this required me to remove my garmin which was conveniently (not!) strapped over my long sleeves. (6 miles, 10:15/mile)
- Sunday: Rest Day
Next week (well, this week because it’s Tuesday), I’m leveling up! On to Level 2.