Well, this week I ran 7.5 miles – 2.5 miles on Wednesday and 5 miles on Saturday morning. I was hoping for a second short run during the week, but you know how it goes. I had a lot going on this week, and I’m still recovering from the marathon, so a low mileage week was A-OK with me.
I felt pretty good on Wednesday’s run, but yesterday was a bit tough. Jeff and I ran together both times, which was really fun. It’s been a while since we ran together regularly, and I’ve missed it. On Saturday we decided to try for a fast finish, and ended up running our last mile in 9:36/mile. We were shooting for something faster than any of our other miles and the fastest was 10:14/mile, so I’m pretty happy with how we did. Overall, we averaged 10:24/mile, and when we finished I was pooped! How on earth did I run a half marathon at a 9 min. pace in April? Race magic, I guess. 🙂
It’s cold out now, I get to wear my fancy cold weather socks.
Going forward, my plans are pretty simple and I’m excited about them:
- For the next few weeks (until Thanksgiving), I’m going to aim to run 3 or 4 times a week with my longest run of the week being at least 5 miles.
- Then, from Thanksgiving through New Year’s I’m going to do the Runner’s World Holiday Running Streak. I ran it last year, and I had a blast! As long as I’m feeling good come Thanksgiving, count me in again!
- During/bookending the streak I’ve got 4 holiday races I’m looking forward to: The Buffalo YMCA Turkey Trot 8k, The Reindeer Run 5k, The Run-a-Latke 5k, and The Frosty Four (New Year’s Day).
- And in early January, I’m contemplating a 3 week break from running. I’ve been reading about taking an off season, and I really haven’t had much of a break in…I don’t know…years? So, this might be a good idea. We’ll see. Not running doesn’t sound like quite as much fun as running.
So, that’s the plan, I’ll be having plenty of fun and loads of running adventures in the next few months! And it’ll give me the opportunity to wrap up my 2014 resolutions and figure out what my 2015 goals will be.
What’s on tap for you?
Got any Holiday races on the calendar?
Have you ever taken a non-mandatory, but not entirely wanted break from running?
Two months to go in 2014! That went quickly, didn’t it? It’s been quite the year so far. Let’s take a look at where I am on my running resolutions. Hopefully I don’t have too many left. 🙂
You can find the detailed list here.
1. Complete a 1/2 Marathon in Under 2 Hours – Done! 4.27.2014
2. Keep up with my Running Blog – Success! – I’m killing it at this one.
3. Run a Marathon – Check! Most recent resolution crossed off the list.
My form looks pretty similar to above….but I was going oh so much slower.
4. Keep a Running Journal – Done! I learned that running journals aren’t my thing.
5. Join a Running Club – I decided that I’m not doing this…another year, I think.
6. Volunteer – Check! I stuffed packets like a boss!
7. Run 1000 miles – (Revised down from 2014k/1250 miles) – Working on it…about 135 miles to go.
8. Beat Jeff’s 5k PR – I’ve got two (maybe) holiday 5ks in mind. We’ll see how my legs are feeling after marathon recovery.
So, that’s my progress so far. It’s crunch time!
How are you doing on your resolutions? Done yet? Still keeping track?
Yesterday, I ran for the first time since the marathon. I woke up wanting to run outside regardless of the weather (wind, rain, 37F), and even though his original plan was to go to the gym, Jeff decided to join me. There’s a 2.5 mile route that is always our default when we’re looking for a short run, so we headed out to tackle that.
I bundled up with two long sleeve shirts, a hat, and gloves, and I wore pants for the first time since last winter. Even though it wasn’t that cold, the wind and rain made me glad I decided to overdress.
Not surprisingly my legs felt a bit tired and heavy, but nothing hurt. I think I could have gone further, but at halfway we decided to walk the rest of the way home. From there, we chatted and enjoyed being outside (even though it was chilly). When we were almost home, I noticed that the rain was no longer rain, it was snow! I can’t believe it’s already snowing, it’s only November 3rd! Good thing my race was last weekend, it was hard enough without rain/snow to complicate matters.
In any case, we made it home before it really started coming down. And then spent the rest of the day hanging out, playing video games, and watching TV. It was a pretty relaxing day. And the snow was a lot more fun to watch from inside.
It didn’t stick, but it was sure coming down.
I’m not sure what the rest of the week will bring as far as running goes. Now that I don’t have a big race on the schedule, it’s time for some easy and fun running!
Has it snowed at your house yet? How long do you take off after a big race?